Monday 27 January 2014

Tuesday's latest DOODLE

I bet you never do this….. Look at the little green lights next to all your friends that are ‘allegedly’ online and imagine a select few of them are talking to each other!

So apparently I have to do some online training on writing reports, ok fine I don’t have a problem with that, always learning. The problem is that the mystery shopping site that is offering the training is based in Luxembourg, the person that e mailed me has an unspellable and no doubt unpronounceable Eastern European type name. The last time I spoke to anyone on the phone from the company she was very nice, I have no idea what she said her name was and she was definitely ‘very’ Asian. I have never had an indication that they even know of the existence of a spell checker that is anything other than English (US). Wish me luck!! Though I fear the end result will only be frustrating intolerance – oh yes from me not them!!

In 1941 315 fighter squadron (City of Deblin) Polish Air Force was formed, it was based in a number of places including RAF Speke which was the airfield before John Lennon Airport in Liverpool. It was in existence until 1947 and the Poles kept a presence in this country until 1951. Ten years of friendly collaboration and integration during which the Poles fought valiantly and bravely alongside our guys and the Canadians through some of the heaviest of the fighting and the air war of World War 2. In those years no Polish shop or supermarket ever existed in any of the places they were based. No road signs in Polish, no Polish shopping vouchers were usable in British betting shops. This year 2014 sees the tenth Anniversary of Poland joining the EU – I rest my case!!
Now don’t get me wrong I’m all for integration and there is no harm in making foreign nationals feel welcome. I have been to Poland twice but never found an English/British supermarket, let alone a British shop on every block. Just sayin’!!  


No comments: