Monday 29 August 2011

6 Years ago today #2

I find it quite ironic and really sad that as I checked out some of the links that are to follow that millions more people in another part of the country are being affected by yet another hurricane. This time unusually further to the North East. I don't mean to belittle the bitch that is Irene and my thoughts go out to all the people involved but I was quite reassured that some of the links set up to help these people deal with this potentially huge disaster were lessons learnt from Hurricane Katrina 6 years ago today in the New Orleans, Louisiana and Mississippi areas.

Please if you can click through some of the links, including the previous years posts on the original Wilko News and just remember for a moment all the losses. Not just the lives but the livelihoods, the properties and the possessions. The devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, six years ago.  

Since last years post I have had the absolute pleasure and privilege of visiting this wonderful city to see for myself the recovery and the still visible scars as is mentioned here in an up to date look back, and I have to say the city is absolutely amazing in almost every respect. Some pictures are below. The people, the stories and of course, one major part of the United States that does actually have some genuine history. It was a terrific time and I have to say that The Witch Queen of New Orleans did put a spell on me. I will return to my friends that I made and the city that has a small bit of my heart in its grasp.


2 comments:

~d said...

Thank you!

SIMON said...

I would say, "My pleasure" though that seems grossly inappropriate but I hope you know what I mean.

The last sentence well I mean!!